What are the benefits of playing Board Games?
Board games play a crucial role in children’s development and growth. It is an important aspect of brain development as they help acquire logical and reasoning skills, boost critical thinking and gain spatial reasoning. Playing board games also helps with learning, social and communication skills (Source: LogicRoots). There are so many benefits of playing board games!
Here are my top 3:
• Have Fun and Feel Good! Family time is important and relationships need to be fostered. Everyone has busy schedules and it is hard to ensure you have quality time together as a family. Why don’t you pencil in a board game evening once a week on the same day and at the same time? That way you make it a habit and one you are more likely to stick to.
• Help Strengthen your Immune Systems. Studies show that stress can negativity weaken our ability to fight off diseases. Immunity improving chemicals are released when playing board games helping to boost your immune systems. Board games help boost our brain’s ability to recognize risk and fighting it better, this, in turn, helps our body fight diseases as well.
• Improve Memory Function and Cognitive Skills. What’s not to love about that? The hippocampus and prefrontal cortex especially benefit from playing board games. These areas of the brain are responsible for complex thought and memory formation. Board games help the brain retain and build cognitive associations well into old age too.
Finally the time has returned! In recent years there has been a huge increase in the revival of the board game. So, tear your child away from Minecraft, the PlayStation or the Television and see what is out there for you all to enjoy!
Not sure which games provide the best educational support for your child yet are also really fun? Then look no further…
Here are our Top 10 (in no particular order):
1) Articulate for Kids- The Fast Talking Description Game (Age 6+)
2) Don’t Say It!- A Classic Word Game with four difficulty levels (Age 6+)
3) Top of the Tables- The Multiplication Match that Tackles Times Tables (Age 6+)
4) Monopoly Cheaters Edition- Follow, Bend or Break the Rules in this Adaptation of the Classic Game (Age 8+)
5) Dobble- A Game of Speed, Observation and Reflexes (Age 6+)
6) 5 Second Rule – The Game of Quick Thinking and Fast Talking (Age 8+)
7) Scrabble Junior- Letter Matching Fun! (Ages 5+)
8) The Crystal Maze Board Game- Packed with an assortment of mental, mystery, skill and physical games. (Age 10+)
9) Pop to the Shops- Learn about handling money and giving change. (Age 5+)
10) Rory’s Story Cubes- Creative story generator which encourages imagination and language development. (Age 6+).